The Burlington Contemporary Writing Prize 2012
The Burlington Contemporary Writing Prize, to be awarded annually, seeks to discover talented young writers on contemporary art, with the winner receiving £1000 and the opportunity to publish a review of a contemporary art exhibition in The Burlington Magazine.
Since its founding in 1903, The Burlington Magazine has always considered the art of the present to be just as worthy of study as the art of the past. The Burlington Contemporary Writing Prize advances the Magazine’s commitment to the study of contemporary art by encouraging aspiring young writers to engage critically with its forms and ideas. The Prize also promotes clear, concise and well-structured writing that is able to navigate complicated territory without recourse to complicated language.
The judges of the inaugural Burlington Contemporary Writing Prize are Dr Nicholas Cullinan and Dr Anna Lovatt, assisted by Christopher Griffin, Ridinghouse Contributing Editor at The Burlington Magazine. Dr Cullinan is Curator of International Modern Art at Tate and writes regularly for publications including Artforum, Frieze, October, Mousse, Tate Etc. and The Burlington Magazine. Dr Lovatt is Lecturer in Art History at the University of Nottingham and an editor of the Oxford Art Journal and has published articles in Art History, October and Tate Papers.
Each applicant will be offered a specially reduced online subscription to The Burlington Magazine, providing digital access to all the latest articles and reviews.
· Applicants must submit one unpublished review of a contemporary art exhibition of no more than 1000 words in length.
· All submissions must be written in English (although the art considered may be international).
· The submitted review should be emailed as a Word document to firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Applicants must be no older than 30 (proof of age may be required).
· The applicant’s name, age, country of residence and occupation must be clearly stated in the application email.
The deadline for submissions is Tuesday 31st January 2012.
The Prize winner will be announced in April 2012.
For more information please contact: email@example.com or http://www.burlington.org.uk/art-world/the-burlington-contemporary-wr